About Us: Montaña de Luz is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides hope for children affected by HIV/AIDS in Honduras. Our priority is to help these children heal, thrive and grow as they experience the love of God in their daily lives. Our staff functions as a family, with daily life going on all around as the children play together and with the caregivers.
Physically, Montaña de Luz is situated on top of a small mountain in south-central Honduras. Its peaceful setting provides a loving environment for these children to live. We provide nutritious food, clean water and proper medical care, and educational opportunities. Many of our children come to us malnourished, weakened and very ill. With the proper nutrition and medical care, we are blessed and so thankful to see them improve and grow.
We are sponsored and supported by Catholic and Protestant churches and secular organizations. Visitors in the form of service teams arrive about once a month to share in our daily experiences and to create improvements to the facility.
Our mission is to build a better reality for children in Honduras affected by HIV/AIDS. We are a not-for-profit, faith based organization that believes that every person has the right to live with dignity and respect. We open ourselves individually and collectively to be transformed by our interaction with each other and the people of Honduras. We seek to embrace diversity not only with our brothers and sisters in Honduras but also with our partners and members of our own community.
Mission Statement: The Mission of Montaña de Luz is to make God's love visible by providing for the health, educational and security needs for Honduran Children affected by HIV/AIDS by:
- Making medical care available in a family-like environment
- Improving the quality of life in order to return or incorporate the children to a home environment whenever possible
- Developing educational and social skills to enhance successful integration into Honduran society
- Promoting the acceptance of their medical condition (for those who are HIV+) with dignity and self-sufficiency.
- Developing community awareness and education of HIV/AIDS related issues.
Our Purpose is:
- To provide a holistic ministry that addresses the physical, social, medical, emotional, spiritual, and educational needs of the person.
- To develop a home where Honduran children both infected and affected by HIV/AIDS can live; and a hospice for children who are dying, providing an opportunity to both live and die with dignity.
- To build a bridge between all partners and participants in this project and the people of Honduras.
- To empower and mentor Honduran leadership for this project.
- To educate the people of Honduras about HIV/AIDS, fallacies and myths about the disease, means of controlling the spread of the disease, and compassion and care for those with the disease.
- To provide a full range of opportunities for stateside organizations and individuals to be involved in the project including:
- Financial support
- Personal correspondence with children and staff
- Collection of materials and supplies needed by the children
- Participation in leadership functions such as board membership and fundraising
- Service team experiences that will:
- Educate persons in the United States regarding the gifts and needs in Honduras through an interdisciplinary, cross-cultural experience.
- Make a humanitarian contribution that betters the lives of people in Honduras.
- Enrich the lives of participants by renewing their sense of purpose and perspective.